A healthier version of Deep Dish Cookie Pie



Last week I decided to cut out sugar.  I knew it would only be temporary but I needed to rid myself of these sugar cravings.  Once you start eating sugar, you just want more.  It was hard the first three days.  By when the  weekend came,  I just wanted a little something and I knew it wouldn't take much to satisfy my sweet tooth.  I decided to get out the garbanzo beans in the cupboard and make a dessert.  If you are looking for healthier versions of dessert, check out Chocolate Covered Katie.  I've tried a few of her recipes and they are really good.  I wouldn't say they are healthy but a good alternative.  Who would have thought beans and chocolate were so yummy.
 I made her Deep Dish Cookie Pie.  I halved the recipe because I only had one can of beans and didn't need a big pan of dessert in my house.  I also tweaked the recipe abit.  I reduced the sugar and chocolate chips significantly (almost cut out more than half) and it was still very sweet.  Maybe the coconut oil helped.  Didn't miss the eggs, butter or flour.  It was very moist and so yummy right out of the oven.  This will be a repeat dessert.  I will admit I ate the whole things myself BUT throughout the weekend.  

Deep Dish Cookie Pie
(gluten-free)

  1. 2 cans white beans or garbanzos (drained and rinsed) (500g total, once drained)
  2. 1 cup quick oats (or certified-gf quick oats)
  3. 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  4. 3 tbsp oil (canola, veg, or coconut)
  5. 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  6. 1/2 tsp baking soda
  7. 2 tsp baking powder
  8. 1/2 tsp salt
  9. 1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar 
  10. 1 cup chocolate chips
Blend everything (except the chips) very well in a good food processor (not a blender). Mix in chips, and pour into an oiled pan (I used a 10-inch springform pan, but you can use a smaller pan if you want a really deep-dish pie.) Cook at 350F for around 35-40 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan. (Some commenter's have had success with a blender, but I did not. Try that at your own risk, and know the results will be better in a high-quality food processor such as a Cuisinart.)


Personal Note: I used my Ninja blender and it worked just fine.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips