Bacon and Pea Macaroni & Cheese
8 oz penne or macaroni pasta
8 oz frozen peas
4 thick slices of bacon, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used fat free greek)
Dash of hot sauce
4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
4 oz fontina (or other melt friendly cheese- not more cheddar)
Salt & Pepper
1. Cook bacon in oven on a cookie sheet. 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. This is the only way I do bacon now and it's way less mess.
2. Cook pasta in salted water for 8-10 minutes.
3. Add the peas to the pasta water in the last minute of cooking.
4. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water before draining the pasta and peas.
5. Return the pasta and peas to pot.
6. Add 1/4 cup pasta water (it must be hot), the yogurt, a few dashes of hot sauce and 1/3 of the grated cheese and stir until the cheese has melted.
7. Stir in the remaining cheese, one small handful at a time to prevent clumping.
8. Add additional pasta water as necessary to thin and melt the cheese sauce (1/4 to 1/2 cup).
9. Season with salt and pepper.
10. Add the bacon, mix well and enjoy!